extero-interoceptive musings

sweet LucyLou

sweet LucyLou

OK, look at this face. Look at how beautiful this creature is. I am not the only one to say so, 90% of the neighbourhood agree with me. So, tell me, how could anyone be nasty to her? Apparently, some, of course. The remaining 10%.

This morning, the smoke alarm was once again triggered – for the umpteenth time. It’s one of the perky things about this apartment building. Together with leaky ceilings and terrible hot-cold water from the shower. Anyhow, down the stairwell we went. My baby is now so efficient, she is ready before I am, waiting at the door the minute the warning signals sound. I do become quite disoriented by the loudness and the frequency of the alarm, both pounding and piercing at the same time, so I am glad that Lucy is now able to calmly walk down the stairs without coaxing or extra help.

When we got out into the street, I was a tad dizzy and not completely able to maintain proper balance. Lucy, sensing my hesitation, tried to help me navigate the crowds waiting outside the cafe for their takeaway coffee, as we headed for the grass patch, to get away from the noise and the people. It was only a brief 5 seconds of hesitation and confused wobbling through the throng of coffee fanatics, obviously undeterred by the horrible noise, when I suddenly felt a man roughly push past us. I turned to look, and he growled at me, “Come on, mate, what’s wrong with you? Stop moving here and there, get out of the way, you’re blocking my path!”

Nasty creature. Not even 5 seconds to spare? This chap is one of the 10% of course. I guess I pity him. What a sad, bleak and angry world it must be, not being able to appreciate the beauty of a dog, any dog, let alone one as lovely as Lucy, and not being able to wait 5 seconds for someone who is confused and uncertain of her balance, while meandering through noise and crowd.

What makes people react the ways they do? How do their bodies respond to the brain’s reactions to external stimuli, and how are these internalised? What triggers this kind of anger and animosity? What kinds of proprioceptive issues do they deal with, if at all? Or is it just mainly in the mental and emotional realm for them?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s